Chickpea (aka Garbanzo Bean) Salad is a great alternative to egg salad. Did you know that chickpeas actually have more protein than eggs? They are also full of fiber as well as a variety of other vitamins and nutrients.
Chickpeas are super versatile. They are great roasted for a crunchy topping to a green salad, or just for a snack. I love them in soups and chili and I always have them on hand.
- 1 can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) Drained and Rinsed
- 1/4 cup Finely Diced Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Chopped Dill Pickle
- 1/2 cup Mayo (You can use Vegan Mayo)
- 1 tspn Yellow Mustard
Chickpeas have a clear and very thin skin on them. They are 100% edible, but personally, I’m not a fan. When I make this salad, I always remove the skins first. You can do this by submerging the Chickpeas in water and swirling them around. You can also wrap them in paper towels and rub on them and the skins should come right off. I am a perfectionist, so I remove the skins one by one…but this is totally optional.
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas, placing them into a medium sized bowl
- Using a fork, give them a good smash until they reach your desired texture – I like there to be a little bite left to them, so I do just a slight mash
- Add your finely diced onion, chopped pickles, mayo and mustard and stir until fully combined
- Season with salt/pepper to taste