My Grandma Reba was one of the most amazing women to have ever lived. I am so thankful that I was able to spend so much time with her.
Grandma Reba cooked everything from scratch, including Chicken and Dumplings. She would spend the morning breaking down a whole chicken and begin the dish by making her own stock. The process was long, but it was oh so worth it!
Now that I make this on my own, I have my own take. First of all, lets be honest…there is no way this vegetarian is breaking down a chicken or making my own stock. Just by skipping this step, I’ve turned an all day process into one that takes about 30 minutes, without missing out on any of the deliciousness of the meal. However, you’ll notice that I actually do not put chicken in my version. I am a vegetarian, but my husband is not. A good replacement is a super easy rotisserie chicken from your grocery store. Just shred it up and add it into your stock.
The biggest thing missing from this one is my Grandma’s love, but it’s been replaced with mine. I hope you enjoy this one.
Grandma Reba’s Dumplings
- 1/2 Large White Onion (finely diced)
- 1 1/2 cups Celery (chopped, with the leaves reserved)
- 1/2 cup Carrots (chopped)
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup Milk
- Saute your diced onion and chopped celery and carrots to begin to soften (about 2 minutes) and season with salt/pepper
- Add your chicken stock and bring to a boil (taste for seasoning now and add more salt/pepper as needed)
- In a large bowl add your Bisquick and make a well in the center
- Pour in your milk and begin to stir with a fork, beginning in the center and working your way out. Do not overmix
- Once your stock is boiling, begin taking spoonfuls of the dough and submerging it into the stock until it slides off your spoon. Repeat the process until all of your dough has been used
- Simmer for exactly 10 minutes without a lid
- Once 10 minutes have passed, put on a tight fitting lid and let simmer for another 10 minutes – DO NOT LIFT THE LID until your time is up
- After the 10 minutes are up, turn off the heat and remove the lid