If you’re still eating boxed mac and cheese, please stop! Fresh mac and cheese is easier than you might think and it’s soooooooo good!
This particular recipe is perfect on it’s own, or you can use it as a base to customize it your way…You can make it spicy by adding some onion, garlic and jalapeno…you can add crispy chicken to the top…or my favorite, veggie mac – I love adding onion, garlic, zucchini and chopped broccoli.
Mac and Cheese
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Freshly Grated White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 box Pasta (I like to use Cavatappi)
Crispy Panko Topping
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3/4 cup Panko (seasoned generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder)
- Boil your pasta according to the package directions
- Using a small saute pan, melt 1 tbsp butter and add your seasoned Panko to toast – Keep a close eye on it because it will toast fast!
- In a sauce pot, melt your butter on medium high heat
- Add flour and stir continuously for about 1 minute
- Pour in your whole milk and whisk continuously until thickened
- Turn heat to low and begin to add your cheese in batches, whisking in between to melt the cheese
- Taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper as needed (I love lots of black pepper)
- Pour your cheese sauce over your cooked pasta and stir to combine