My husband and I were lucky enough to spend a couple of days in Italy a few years ago. We spent one unforgettable day in Capri and got to dine at the famed La Capannina. After devouring their Ravioli alla Caprese, I knew that the only “souvenir” I needed from Capri was their Pomodoro recipe.
Everytime I make this sauce, the memories of our short trip come flooding back. This sauce is “Perfezione” (perfection)!
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large bunch of basil
- 1 carrot (peeled and cut in roughly 3″ pieces)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Peel and half your onion and carrot
- Coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil and sauté garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes
- Add your can of tomatoes, onion, carrot and basil. Season with a generous amount of salt and if you like a kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes!
- Break up the whole tomatoes with your spoon and simmer for about 30 minutes
- Remove sauce from heat to slightly cool
- Remove onion, garlic, carrot and basil. Add the sauce to your blender and puree until smooth